Normally, I would have posted another Friday Fave today, however I feel as though this recipe needs to make an appearance. One thing that, in an effort to stay on budget, I am starting to do is make lunch on Sunday to have the entire week. This salad is a perfect recipe for just that. It only gets better by the day.
Quinoa Salad with Tomatoes, Persian Cucumbers & Basil
Serves 4-5 Lunches
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, cooked to manufacturers directions, cooled
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 Persian cucumbers (they’re the mini ones), cut into half-moons
- 8 oz. goat cheese feta, crumbled
- 2 – 3 Tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade into ribbons
Cook the quinoa as you normally would (2:1, S&P, boil, cover, simmer, 20 minutes) and cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
In a large salad bowl, toss together cooled quinoa, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, basil. Dress the salad with honey lemon vinaigrette to your discretion – remembering that the quinoa will drink it up. Season with extra coarse salt and pepper, if needed, however with the seasoning in the quinoa and vinaigrette, you shouldn’t need it.
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon, juiced (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil (depends on how acidic you like your vinaigrettes)
- a splash of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
In an airtight container, shake together all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Use with in your favourite salad.
Easy, simple, and extremely tasty; this quinoa salad is sure to make you the talk of your office canteen!
Ally Taylor is a food writer based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Through her All in Moderation blog, she aims to promote a healthy gourmet lifestyle for the 9-5’er. Learn more about Ally or follow her on Twitter @allinmod or Instagram @ally_in_moderation