Recently I had an article published in Bon Vivant magazine. The article was about “The Perfect Picnic”. Last night, as the rain was gracing Vancouver with its presence, I realized that one thing I forgot to add in my article was the fact that picnic are not just for warms days, sitting in the sun. You can have a brilliant picnic in the comfort of your own living room.
Requirements of the Perfect Rainy Day Picnic
- Plenty of fresh Heirloom tomatoes. If they are picked from your garden – even better. Cut into wedges and slices – or left whole depending on their size.
- A few giant Kosher dill pickles – sliced.
- A selection of cured meats – here we had Spicy Genoa and a Peppered Salami.
- Incredibly delicious cheese – this was a Pecorino Romano that was cut from the block that morning – super floral, super herbaceous.
- And you can never have enough fresh basil to top the whole thing off.
- Don’t forget to season your platter with good coarse salt (or Fleur de Sel from Vancouver Island Salt Company), freshly ground black pepper, and a nice drizzle of great quality Italian extra virgin olive oil.
- Grab a bottle, or two (who’s judging), of a big bold red wine.
- Pick your favourite movie.
- Snuggle up with that special someone – or something (totally okay if it’s a pet).
- Take a deep breathe, have a good sip of wine, and consume (the entire plate).
See. The Perfect Picnic. Rainy day style. 🙂