The best thing about golden beets is that you don’t have to peel them. It takes that tedious step out of roasting beets. AND keeps your hands, cutting boards, counters, you name it, clean! As much as I have secrets to keeping the red stain from spreading, it’s bound to get somewhere.
That said, this salad would be perfectly delicious with red beets as well – so if that’s what you have on hand, then go nuts! 🙂
Golden Beet Salad
- 4 – 5 golden beets, roasted & cut into cubes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup green queen olives, pitted & halved (cerignola or castelvetrano will work well too)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 oz. goats milk feta cheese, crumbled
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt & freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400F. Wrap the beets tightly in tin foil, with a glug of olive oil and a good sprinkling of coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Roast in oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, open the tin foil, and let cool enough to touch.
In the meantime, combine ingredients in a salad bowl. When the beets are cool, chop into cubes, and toss with the rest of the ingredients. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
Enjoy on the side with some roasted chicken or grilled fish, or have as a main for lunch. This gets even better, day old. 🙂