What better time to have a quick & easy pasta dish than on a dreary & wet Monday night. This dish will be a crowd-pleaser when it hits the table tonight. Simple, yet flavourful – and it won’t break your budget.
Put down the phone – there’s no take-out tonight.
Orecchiette with Beef, Broccoli & Fior di Latte
- 1 lb. orecchiette, or your favourite pasta shape
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 oz. Italian pancetta, diced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. broccoli, bite-size florets
- Coarse salt & freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 oz. Fior di Latte, or your favourite Italian cheese
- 1 palm Parmesan cheese
- Drizzle good quality extra virgin olive oil, for finishing
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta according to the package instructions. Don’t forget to season your water.
Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat, and cook pancetta and beef together, break apart the beef with a wooden spoon, until browned ~ 5 – 6 minutes. Add in onions and garlic, and cook for another minute or so until the onions begin to go translucent.
Add the broccoli, chicken broth, and 2 ladles of pasta water to the pan. Combine altogether and reduce heat to a medium.
Drain the pasta, place the Fior di Latte to the top of the “sauce”, and add the pasta to the “sauce” – this will help melt the cheese. Toss to combine altogether. Add in the Parmesan, taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary (I like lots of pepper with this one). Serve with a nice piece of Fior di Latte and a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil on top.
Easy, simple, and for the most part probably stuff you have at home right now. 🙂