Seasonal, delicious, and super hearty – this hodgepodge of a winter salad hits the spot on a cool night when comfort food just isn’t doing it for your waist line.
These baked falafel are crazy simple, and keep well frozen for future use. Just toss them in the toaster when you want to use them somewhere down the line.
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 good bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 good bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 cloves garlic
- A couple slices fresh jalapeno – remove seeds if heat is not your thing
- A good squeeze of fresh lemon
- 1 – 2 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 – 2 Tbsp AP flour
- A good pinch of coarse salt
- A good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Toss ‘er all in a food processor. Pulse until combined – but still slightly chunky. Taste, adjust seasoning, give one more pulse.
Form the mixture into 12 balls – pat down ever so slightly to flatten. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping half way through to even brown both sides. Eat with your favourite salad, or toss into a pita for a healthy sandwich.
Ingredients for the rest of this salad (this will serve 2);
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 small bunch carrots, tops and tails removed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Coarse salt & pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 a jalapeno, sliced
- 2 cups arugula tossed in good olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper
- A couple tablespoons 0% M.F Greek yoghurt
Toss cauliflower and carrots in olive oil, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper. Roast both in 425F oven for 25 minutes – a little longer if they haven’t quite turned a pretty shade of brown. Assemble the salad by tossing the arugula in a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, S&P. Add the falafel that you made, some avocado, some pistachios, a little jalapeno, and a few roasted carrots and cauliflower. YUM! Oh so YUM!
Enjoy this little salad break before getting into the holiday spirit and forgetting your health for the next few weeks.