Alright, you’ve waited long enough. Here it is, my recipe for Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw….and all the fixings that I’ve posted this week. 🙂
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
Yield: 8 – 10 tacos
- 2 lb. raw 21-25 shrimp (tail-off), frozen (or fresh if you are lucky)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro stems, chopped finely
- 6 – 10 bamboo skewer, soaked in water
- A good cracking of black pepper
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 lime, juiced
- A good pinch of coarse salt, & freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado Crema
- Pico de Gallo
- Jalapeño Mango Salsa
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Thinly sliced radishes, for garnish
- Pickled jalapeño, for garnish
- Thinly sliced green onion, for garnish
- Your favourite hot sauce, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Good quality authentic corn (and/or wheat) tortillas
For the slaw; combine red cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper in a large bowl. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving to soften slightly.
For the shrimp; Thaw the shrimp (if frozen), removed the shell and the tail (if still intact), and place in a bowl. Toss the shrimp with garlic, cilantro stems, and a good cracking of freshly cracked black pepper. Cover and let sit in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
Take soaked bamboo skewers, and arrange 4 – 6 shrimp on each. Grill shrimp in a grill pan or on the BBQ until just cooked, approximately 4 – 6 minutes total at medium high heat.
For the tortillas; wrap in aluminum foil, or authentic tortilla warmer, and place in oven at 400F until warmed through. This makes the tortillas more malleable and helps them stay in one piece.
To arrange the taco, remove shrimp from the skewer, and pile high with all the fixings and garnish. Wrap and dig in!
Now, don’t forget to make a great cocktail to go along side this delicious meal. This Spicy Watermelon Margarita is sure to quench that thirst, and guaranteed to put a little pop in your step!