Is there anything better… I’m actually asking… Is there? Bacon, browned butter, Spaetzle? You simply cannot go wrong. The texture the Spaetzle imparts is my favourite thing about it. Regular old pasta, you say? Nope, absolutely not. Definitely more chewy – and a welcomed addition for my taste buds.
German Spaetzle with Cold-Smoked Bacon & Blistered Tomatoes
- 1 pkg traditional German Spaetzle, or from scratch – cooked to manufacturers/recipe instructions
- 4 rashers cold-smoked bacon
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 pint multi-colour grape tomatoes, halved
- A good pinch of coarse salt, and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Sprinkle of grated Romano, for garnish
While Spaetzle is cooking, begin crisping up the bacon in a large sauteuse on medium/high heat, with a tsp of EVOO. When the bacon begins to brown, add in garlic, and one half of the butter. Reduce the heat to medium/low, to let the butter melt, and begin to brown slightly.
When the Spaetzle has finished cooking, drain the pasta. Then toss the tomatoes into the sauce, and the final half of butter. Add in the parsley, and then throw the Spaetzle on top of the entirety, and combine well. Taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Sprinkle with grated Romano for garnish.
Sometimes, you just need to be bad. Yes, I know there is a c*** ton of butter in here, but come on, you must indulge every so often! 🙂