I don’t know what’s going on these days, but for someone who rarely eats bread, I’ve been craving well-made sandwiches on a daily. That, and soup – but that’s a different post altogether.
My BF and I have different work schedules. He’s off Sunday and Monday, and I’m off Saturday and Sunday. On his days off, he loves to grab a growler fill at his favourite local craft brewery, Off The Rail Brewing Company. This typically means he’s picking up a 6-pack of our go-to everything bagels from wholesale, Benny’s Bagels. Their Monday deal is something you can’t pass up.
This is a typical Tuesday evening dinner, when those beautiful bagels come through the front door.
Wild Smoked Salmon Bagel Sandwich
- 2 everything bagels, sliced in half & lightly toasted
- 120 g wild sockeye smoked salmon
- A good schmear of plain whipped cream cheese – on all slices of bagel**
- A handful of mixed greens, washed & dried
- A sprinkle of caper berries
- A sprig of fresh thyme (remove leaves from the sprig if the sprig is too woody)
- A few thin slices of red onion
- A pinch of sea salt
- A grinding of black pepper
Lightly toast the top and bottom of each bagel. Schmear each side with whipped cream cheese. Top with mixed greens, smoked salmon, caper berries, red onion, a sprig of fresh thyme, a touch of sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper. Top. And mangez.
** You’re better than Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Benny’s Bagels has delicious whipped plain cream cheese, as does any other bagel company on the face of this planet. Go forth, and be better than Philly Cream Cheese.
*** No offence, Philly Cream Cheese.
There you have it. Quick, easy, but possibly one of the best combinations known to man. I can’t stress this enough though – don’t be afraid of the cream cheese. Schmear away, my friends. 🙂