Veggies, you bet. Detox, of course. Whole30 compliant, yes, you crazy (but lovely) people, it IS! Just be sure to ix-nay the lentils and substitute the soy sauce with kosher salt. Easy peasy!
This soup will knock your socks off. Bright, brilliant, and slightly acidic – you can literally feel your insides move…. in the right direction. It even got the stamp of approval from a butcher – who may have gone back for a second bowl….
Mighty Detox Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 leek, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, 1/4 in dice
- 4 organic carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 inch (thumb-sized) piece ginger, grated
- 1/2 red jalapeno, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 quarts homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup French Puy lentils, cooked to package directions *
- 3 cups organic dragon kale, thinly slice the stems, rough chop the leaves
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces **
- 1/4 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley and cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, for garnish
- Kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
*Cook to package direction – set aside to keep warm until soup is finished.
** I only use the florets. I typically chop off the stem, peel it, and eat it while cooking. 🙂
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in leeks, onions, and carrots. Sweat, stirring occasionally until fragrant and opaque, approx. 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, and jalapeno – cook another minute or so. Season with S&P.
Add in broth, soy sauce, and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Toss in kale, broccoli, & cabbage. Cook until vegetables are tender, approx. 15 minutes more.
Finish with parsley and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Spoon lentils into a bowl and top with a good helping of soup. Add a few slices of avocado for a pop of creamy freshness. Enjoy!
We ate this soup ALL week. And didn’t complain once. SO tasty.