Well, I feel refreshed…. there is something extremely satisfying about being in so much pain that you are literally forced to rest. While my back is not 100%, it is much better today considering I didn’t move far from a sleeping position for the majority of the weekend.
So, what do you make when your boyfriend makes homemade bread? You make grilled cheese, of course!
Spinach & Pesto Grilled Cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed and dried
- 3/4 cup (Thai) basil leaves, washed and dried
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 Tbsp green peppercorns
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- Coarse salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 slices rustic cast iron loaf, or your favourite bread
- Extra-aged cheddar cheese, grated
- Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- Butter, softened
In a small food processor, or using a hand-blender, combine spinach, basil, garlic, green peppercorns, lemon, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Blend until a paste forms. Taste and season as necessary.
Smear pesto on both slices of bread. Top with a mixture of the cheeses. Seal the sandwich, and spread butter on the top side. Then place butter-side-down in a medium high hot pan. And butter the top side. Do not move until a crust forms and the sandwich allows you to flip it. Brown on the other side.
Remove from the pan, and slice. Serve with a side salad – the one photographed is a Broccoli Greek Salad. Simple, easy, and delicious.