Only two more Mondays until vacation. I’m almost getting emotional about it – only because I need a vacation SO badly. I simply cannot wait to hop in that taxi en route to the airport. It’s going to be the most pure feeling of joy…. ever. But, really another reason for the excitement of that day is because we’re taking our favourite flight to Europe. The KLM overnight from Vancouver to Amsterdam. It’s a cool 9 hours, departs in the early Vancouver evening , and arrives the next morning in Amsterdam. If I fly international, I try to fly overnight. There’s nothing better than waking up in a new city, and something even more better about not wasting a day of travel! Sleeping on a plane is always tricky, but I’ve got a few tips that I’ve learned over the years, and want to share them with you!
- Get Ready For Bed. I mean this – wash your face, brush your teeth – keep your routine as similar or the same as you would at home. I promise, this actually helps.
- Stay Hydrated. So you’re not pop back and forth from the bathroom – try and have as much water as possible before the flight. And the days leading up to the flight. The last thing you want is to be awoken because you have to pee!
- Cozy It Up. Wear comfortable clothing – I’m a big fan of lululemon’s on an overnight flight. Be aware of dress codes, however. Scarves are good too – they can double as a blanket!
- Bring A Good Book. This is key – turn off the console – and dive in. It’s so easy to get sucked into a movie marathon. Same as you would not watching your laptop in bed! When I read a book on a plane, I’m usually asleep in 5 minutes.
- Shut Out. Sleep mask, noise-cancelling headphones, and the like. Get yourself into a cozy little nook, and don’t be bothered by anyone around you.
Also, a half a sleepy-time Tylenol & a glass of red wine works wonders 😉
What are your tricks for sleeping on overnight flights? Let me know in the comments below!