Guys. FOUR more days, and we’ll be on a jet plane. My excitement is way too real. I’m picking up my suitcase today, having my last workout tonight, and then the rest is history. So they say?
This salad that I’m sharing with you today, is my “what I have in the house” version of a Caprese Salad. It still resembles the Italian flag, right??? But the perfect salad for the first day of summer!
Re-Invented Caprese Salad
- 2 cups heirloom grape or full-size tomatoes, sliced, halved or kept whole (depending on size)
- 1 cup cucumber slices (approx. half an English cucumber)
- 1/2 cup Bra Duro cheese (or equivalent Italian semi-firm cheese), thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh chives
- Red onion, minced
- Fleur de sel & freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil – or your favourite light Dijon or Caper Dressing
Arrange tomatoes and cucumber on a platter. Add in the cheese slices in and around the plate. Then go in with basil and chives. Sprinkle with red onion, and a little fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and/or a little lightly flavoured dressing – the one I linked above is PERFECT.
This salad is perfect with some grilled protein – salmon, chicken, or a juicy steak would be the ultimate accompaniment.
Summer is tomato season – get excited for some slutty tomato recipes coming your way. The flavour that comes from the beautiful fruits at this time of year is sweet and satisfying. YUM YUM!