Are you ready for a pasta dish that’s the life of the party? Good. Me too.
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca, literally meaning, “spaghetti in the style of a prostitute”, is just the dish that’ll do it for you. This delectable meal perfectly matches spicy and salty. And I go crazy for it. So, here you go, the All in Moderation version of this classic Neapolitan dish.
NOTE: We didn’t have any olives, so for those of you that know this dish, don’t worry, I know we missed them, but to be honest, they weren’t needed – and Mark hates warm olives.
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 – 4 anchovy fillets
- 1/3 cup pancetta, diced (approx. 1, 1-in. thick slice)
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes, diced or whole
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme (or oregano), chopped
- 1 tsp. ring of fire peppers, thinly sliced (or a couple dashes of hot sauce, or crushed red pepper flakes)
- A couple Tbsp caper berries, drained
- Kalamata olives, pitted, optional
- Coarse salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti, cooked to manufacturers directions
- Grana Padano, shaved, for garnish
Cook pasta to manufacturers directions.
Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan or sauteuse, heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in the anchovy, and let them melt into the oil. Then add in the pancetta, and begin to sweat out the fat. You’re not looking for too much colour here, but a little brown never hurt anyone. Add in the onion and garlic, and cook together for about 5 minutes or so.
Add in the peppers, and tomatoes. Combine well. Toss in the fresh herbs, and let simmer for 5 – 7 minutes. Taste the sauce, and season to taste with coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Add the capers in (this is also when the olives would go in), then pasta on top. Toss well to mix the sauce through the pasta. Serve in a bowl with a little cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil on top.
I could eat this dinner every night of the week. I love the salty & spicy combination. I just wish my a** didn’t get so big when I do that. 🙁